Monday, November 25, 2013

A magnificent testimony to the power of love, interactions between Governor Palin & supporters & her humanity

A magnificent testimony to the power of love, the interactions between Governor Palin and her supporters and her humanity which shines through all of the personal contact stories flowing from her book tour.

Here is the start of the story from Jim Walsh at the Minneapolis Post with his pictures that really, at the end of the day, say it all. Read the entire post AT THIS LINK;
 

What I said to Sarah Palin and a report from the frontlines of the 'Merry Christmas' culture wars

I had no idea what I was going to say to Sarah Palin when I got in line to get an autographed copy of her new book for my dad at the Mall of America rotunda Friday. I was an embedded journalist in the culture wars, interviewing her fans and followers; she was on the last stop of a book tour promoting “Good Tidings and Great Joy: Protecting The Heart of Christmas,” a 238–page mission statement (complete with recipes!) on how to preserve “Merry Christmas” as the world’s go-to holiday greeting.

I was near the end of the line, about a thousand deep, and as my face-to-face time with the one-time vice presidential candidate drew near, I realized I was at a loss for words. Turns out there would be no personalized autographs, so I was left with a dilemma: What to say to one of the most pilloried and polarizing figures in modern-day politics while simultaneously preserving my own soul?
As I stood in line perusing the steady stream of mall-goers who were gawking, snapping photos, and snickering at Palin and her flock, I flipped open my copy of “Good Tidings” to find, on the first page I turned to, one of my favorite C.S. Lewis quotes:

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”







Fair use notice: This website contains copyrighted material, the use of which may or may not have been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Excerpts of such material is made available for educational purposes, and as such this constitutes ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Act. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this website is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. Original material published on this website may be excerpted and the excerpt reproduced for the purpose of critical reviews. However, such original material may not be reproduced in full on another website or in any manner without prior approval from this website’s owner. In all cases when material from this website is reproduced in full or in part, the author and website must be credited by name and a hyperlink provided to this website.